Monday, July 28, 2008

Well-meaning erratic driver

Pete offered to let me sleep today while he drove us to work. Let's just say I didn't sleep at all. I was able to close my eyes for a while, but every time I opened them I saw us either swerving onto the shoulder, almost missing our exits, or putt-putting behind a semi or garbage truck. He wanted me to play ABBA (and knowing Pete, it would be at eardrum-bleeding level) but I asked him not to, so we drove in silence. He didn't even want NPR, and said he can't sleep with the radio on, so how could I? That was a not-so-subtle hint to me for when I drive and I have the news radio station playing (at extremely low levels, mind you).

We managed to make it to McDonald's where the employees were moving like glaciers, and they forgot the cream in our coffee (something they proudly promote as a special feature) and my water bottle, which ended up being lukewarm. Anyhow, I made it to work in one piece, maybe not so well rested, but once again pleased by Pete's well-meaning intentions.

No comments: